Stephen Humphries

The Blog Rat is part of my split personality of student journalist Stephen Humphries.

Reading these rants can bring comedy to lifes little niggles.

These rants are mostly one sided and make rediculous generlisations of people and life.

The majority of posts are revolved around Stephen's part-time supermarket job, where he works as a cashier on a cigerette kiosk.

Be prepared for some ill punctuation and the occasional spelling error.

Enjoy

@Steph3n_H

steph3nhumphries.blogspot.com
steph3nhhumphries.com

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Proud

TWO SUNDAY's ago, at work, I surprised myself at how I reacted to some ill behaviour and right I was as well.

Ten minutes passed closing, I sat awaiting to take this last transaction , when I group-of-three customers came through my checkout.

The woman and two men, who didn't speak good English, came through the checkout with a few groceries and a bottle of wine. Reluctant to do so, I said to the customers "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask you all for I.D I'm afraid," despite one of them looking over the age of 25, it is the policy to I.D all taking put in the purchase.

The chap, who appeared to be packing and paying, began to look for his I.D. I asked the other two, who had ignored me the first time, "Sorry, do you not have any I.D?" The man, who did look old enough, and the woman continued to ignore me and glar at the pockets of their friend, who was still searching, no response again, so at this point I decided they were just damn right rude. "HELLO?" I said abruptly.

They all gave me the filthiest looks in the world but managed to translate the word's "just leave it," repeatedly, from their non-English speaking mouths.

I continued to scan their shopping and said "that's £18.40 then please."

The eldest one, who I didn't think was paying then threw a ten-pound note onto the checkout slope and then individually and purposefully threw 9 pound coins one after the other, despite having my hand out waiting to receive it.

FUCKING FURIOUS.

"You're not getting away with this" i thought.

I then counted 60 pence worth of 5 and 10 pence's of change, into my
hand, held it 5cm above the desk and let them all drop at once.

The twat then huffed and puffed at me, picked up all the pieces and then threw the last one back at me! At which, point I was walking away from the checkout.

I couldn't believe I had done it
but was very happy with this level of customer service, I see it as standing up for all supermarket workers.

We can all smile and give pleasant manners regardless of age, race and religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment